Monday, November 26, 2007

Finicky...

I was a pretty picky eater as a kid. Who am I kidding, I was a VERY picky eater. I'm not sure what started it, but I've managed to get over that in my adult life and now live by "I'll try anything once". Pickled eggs and beets were one of the biggies that I said "NO WAY!" to as a kid. Sadly, I now know what I was missing. This recipe is a little spicier than traditional pickled eggs and beets making it perfect for the Holiday season!

Holiday Spiced Pickled Eggs and Beets


2 1/2 cups sliced canned beets, juice reserved
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
3 whole cloves
3 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 sliced small white onion
1 dozen hard boiled eggs peeled


Place the beets in a bowl and set aside

In saucepan, combine vinegar, and the reserved beet juice and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients (except for the beets and eggs) and return to a boil. Reduce heat, and boil for 5-7 minutes until the onions are softened.

Remove from heat and let mixture set for 10 minutes uncovered.

Pour mixture over the beets and toss.

Place mixture in large container and add the eggs. Place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 2 days (the longer the better). Serve the beets and eggs cold.



Good luck with marinating the eggs & beets for any length of time--IF you have a husband anything like mine. He can't wait for them to finish and he's usually eating them within a few hours. ;-) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh My God I love pickled eggs and beets.